- Dormant Plants
Why should I grow bare-root plants?
Bare-root plants offer several advantages.
- They’re cheaper than the potted or burlap-wrapped versions sold at nurseries later in the year.
- You’ll find a greater selection.
- These plants aren’t grown in soil and are cheaper to ship, so you can get bare-root plants from mail order nurseries. This expands the selection of available plants.
- Because they’ve been grown in the ground, these plants have never been root-bound.
When are bare-root plants available?
- Look for bare-root plants at local nurseries and garden centers during late fall to early spring. When plants appear locally, it’s the right time for planting in your region.
- Place mail orders for bare-root plants early in the season to ensure the best selection. The mail-order company will ship the plant during the correct planting window for your region.